Friday, August 23, 2013

Bar Island and Cadillac Mtn

Every trip to Bar Harbor we checked the tides, pick a time, and cross the sand bar to Bar Island.  Every time there's always a little question about whether or not we'll get down from the top of the island to the sand bar, before the tide comes back in.

Well, this year, we missed it!  From the scenic overlook at the top of the island, we looked back at the sand bar and saw it was getting very small.  We ran down the trail and come out of the woods to see that dreaded site - the sand bar was (mostly) covered by the tide!  Since the water was only about a foot deep, it certainly wasn't a serious problem, and it made for the most memorable Bar Island trip ever!

Later in the day, we planned a hike up Cadillac's North Ridge Trail, followed by a pick-up at the top.  This is only about a 2-mile hike up, and I was looking forward to it since I hadn't hiked Cadillac in years.  Alas, it was not to be (for me).  I was tying my boots at the house when Owen bumped into an 8-foot-tall, 100-pound, wood-framed antique mirror.  Turns out it wasn't secured to the wall, and it tipped over.  Owen was at the bottom and wasn't hit at all, but the wooden frame landed right on top of my head!  I had a dent and a lump, and decided not to hike and risk more swelling.  Kristan and Sean ended up hiking Cadillac, and afterwards I ended up in the emergency room to get it all checked out (just a flesh wound!).

No comments: