Tuesday, March 22, 2011

SXSW 2011 Day 3

Here are the bands we saw on Friday (Day 3):

  1. Lindi Ortega @ Paradise: We caught this show by accident, while hanging out at the Canadian Blast party at Paradise. She sings OK country songs and we got a free sample CD at the show.
  2. The Golden Dogs @ Paradise: Didn't really listen to these guys too much; still just hanging out at the Canadian Blast.
  3. Tristen @ Mohawk: for some reason the "March into Softness" party was playing at a metal/hardcore bar. The between-sets music didn't really fit the party! Anyway, Tristen was terrific! I had a couple free singles, but now I'm going to buy an album.
  4. Wye Oak @ Mohawk: You wouldn't know there are only 2 people in the band - they rock! I have a couple free singles, and should get an album.
  5. Glasser @ Club de Ville: We only stopped in for one song. I have an album and think it's great, but we just didn't have time to stay.
  6. Adam Cohen @ Paradise: I have one of Adam's albums from a ways back, and I have almost all of his dad's albums. Adam still isn't a very strong singer-songwriter, but he did play a couple Leonard Cohen songs, which was nice.
  7. Hungry Kids from Hungary @ Maggie Mae's: I don't really remember this band. I think they were decent. We really at Maggie Mae's for the Sonicbids party, and the next band.
  8. Said the Whale @ Maggie Mae's: I have several albums and several free singles from this band. I like the recorded music a lot, but the live show was just OK.  UPDATE: In 2017 I came across a documentary about Said the Whale called "Winning America", about their first trip to SXSW, this trip!  This concert is in the film, although I couldn't see Ed or me in the brief footage.
  9. Laura Jansen @ Dutch Impact: didn't really pay attention during this show, so I can't comment on the music.
  10. Foxtails Brigade @ The Ghost Room: a very original band and a terrific show - I need to get their album!
  11. Dolorean @ Rusty Spurs: I have an album and several free singles, and like this band a lot. However, the music was too mellow for a club at SXSW. Would have been better in the ACC or one of the churches.
  12. Bahamas @ Paradise: pretty good singer, but the songs started to sound the same, so we left half-way through.
  13. The Dears @ Mellow Johnny's: We had to travel a long way to make it to this, and it was loud and packed. But, I love their new album and several old singles, so I was excited to see them. Ed didn't enjoy them so much, so we only stayed for half the show.
  14. King Charles @ 512: This guy had a great song on the SXSW website. Not sure if he played it though, as we got here late and were way in the back.
  15. Dreamend @ Skinny's Ballroom: These guys were billed as "folk", but it should have been "psychedelic/experimental folk". I might like listening to an album, but it was a horrible concert. We left, even though we didn't have anything for another hour.
  16. Lucinda Williams @ The Moody Theatre: After leaving Dreamend, we bumped into a guy named Fred who was looking at the Moody Theatre. The location on the printed map was right next to us, but the Theatre wasn't there. Ed realized the address was correct (West 2nd Street), but the map was showing East 2nd. He was going to see Lucinda Williams, so we decided to find it together, and she was great!
  17. Soundtrack of Our Lives @ Cedar St. Courtyard: the best show of the day! The lead singer looks like a Viking dressed as Moses. The crowd went crazy for him, and he was eating it up and showing off. So much fun! I need to get their latest album.


Jump to a specifc day: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Wrap-up

No comments: